Something is going wrong with my dye premix "chemical water". As I have posted before, we have very high pH tap water, above 8.2, I am not sure how much higher. For this reason, I pH balance my chemical water with household vinegar down to neutral before use. I also add urea and sodium alginate. I keep it at normal household temps, about 70 degrees this time of year. Within about 10 days, it has a very strong ammonia smell and the pH is back up, off the charts, higher than before. Paula, you explained something about the urea creating ammonia. Why is this happening? Other people have mentioned keeping their chem water much, much longer.
I assume I can't dye with this water but I'm no chemist. Can I (a) dye with it, assuming it is basically activated dye and I have a few hours to use it and/or (b) re-balance the pH and use it? I am also guessing I will need to use bottled water (groan) in the future, but maybe someone's answer will enlighten me. Thanks. Jen