Last year I spent a lot of time trying to create 'pole wrap shibori' shirts... finally ended up wrapping around a 5 gallon bucket from Home Depot! But it was a pain, and used a lot of sinew. I recently got a dyers book that showed how to wrap fabric around a large diameter rope, and the results were similar to what I had been trying to achieve with my prior experiments. Well, yesterday I gave it a try on a t-shirt. Here are the results:
[I edited to make the picture fit on the page; click on the image to see the full-sized version, so you can see the fine details. -P.]
I really like the markings I got, and will most likely do a bunch more! I may have to go back and get some more rope! I didn't take a picture of the rope, but it's 3/4" diameter nylon rope, and I bought a 4 foot section, which is plenty big to do a shirt. I simply dampened the shirt, rolled it onto the rope, added a couple of rubber bands to the ends and middle, then scrunched the shirt together. Then I poured the dyes on, let it sit an hour, added soda ash solution for an hour, and it was ready to rinse/wash. Simple!